Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Wal-Mart: Back on Track


I remember when I intentionally boycotted Wal-Mart. I heard the stories about discrimination against women, ill-treatment and compensation of workers, and their, backwards, big-business ideologies. But ever since their involvement with the BagFest festival that I was part of last semester, I have decided to give them a second chance. The celebration wouldn't have been nearly as successful without the help of their volunteers and the truck that they donated to carry the recycled plastic bags was ingenious. I did, however, question the environmental aspects of the day and while the festival was run green-friendly, the one thing that bothered me was the cost of the fuel (both monetary and environmental) that the Wal-Mart semi would produce. This seemed counter productive to me, especially after spending the whole day discussing ways to reduce fuel use and emission and live in more earth-friendly ways. It seems that Wal-Mart had the same idea: In fact it seems that Wal-Mart is getting back on track.


Link



Be sure to check ou thte link to an Article in the South Bend Tribune!!

No comments: