Friday, June 29, 2007

I have a leak

I have a leak. Not metaphorically. I literally have a leaky faucet in my bathtub. Not only did the cold handle fall off but water continues to drip form the faucet and the sound of running water through the pipes is driving me crazy!! I'm pretty sure all I need is a new seat and luckily for me I live in an apartment building with 24 hour maintenance (or so they claim).

Interestingly I recently got an email from Ideal Bite, a newsletter that promotes green living and sends out daily energy-saving, green-living tips:

Need a cold shower?
The Bite

If you take our advice, you will. Showering with a friend saves water and energy - you're bound to produce plenty of heat naturally. (And if sharing isn't your thing, there are still plenty of frisky-free ways to conserve.)
The Benefits
Saving water-
Con your fave handy person into fixing pesky leaks - one drop per second can add up to 165 gallons per month.

Saving more water-
Low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators are inexpensive and easy to install, and cut water use in half. In a household of four you'll save as much as $250 per year on water bills.

Saving even more water-
By keeping your shower time under five minutes, you can save as many as 1,000 gallons per month.

Cleaner bodies-
You wash their back, they'll wash yours.



Wanna Try?
Oxygenics Five Star Resort Spa Series - these shower heads save water without sacrificing water pressure ($45).
Lowest Flow Showerhead - gives good spray while using 1 gallon-per-minute less than most showerheads ($12).
Touch Flow Swivel Spray Aerator - for your sink; offers several different spray options ($6).


I'm not exactly in a position to invest in a new shower head or a low-flow faucet but I am intrigued by the statistic that one drop per second can add up to 165 gallons per month!! My question is this. What exactly is the problem with water dripping besides it being annoying and costly? I live in an apartment with water covered so financially it doesn't effect me. Also, if the water runs through the pipes and right back into the river or water plant...then where exactly is the energy waste? Ok I suppose it uses more energy to run that excess water through the water plant so that it comes back through my pipes clean and drinkable. But I would be interested to research this more as it seems like the least harmful waste of energy/resources but I know that it must make an environmental impact I am just not thinking of. Mostly right now I am just annoyed at the sound of water running through my walls which I must say is playing havoc on my bladder!!

No comments: