Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Taking small steps means deciding that you will commit to something that requires very little energy at first but if done slowly and carefully can begin to grow until you find yourself walking down the road of your choice. For myself, I am concentrating on the small steps of reducing the energy I use by turning off my air conditioner and opening my windows, walking as many places as I can, and making my own food instead of eating out (when possible). Ok so that's three baby steps but I'm a big girl so I think I can handle a few steps at a time. The air feels nice, a bit muggy, but my cats love the open window and watching them swat at unattainable bugs and birds is somewhat of a cruel pleasure. I already walk to the places I need to walk to. I could probably ride my bike to places farther out of my way but I havn't gotten that desperate yet. And yes, I have been making my own food more often than not, although I am still bothered by the whole recycling issue.

My apartment doesn't actively recycle so I am left with a conundrum...do I start an indoor compost, knowing I probably wont keep it up and it will probably not smell great in my small apartment? Do I instead, collect all of my recyclables and haul them over to my mom's house on recycling day? Or do I throw them out and attempt to clear my conscious by eating organic chocolate bars? I suppose I'll let you know after recycling day rolls around. For now, keep posted.

No comments: